Monday, September 17, 2012

Bad Token?

    I like being a token. What it means to me is that can seamlessly transition from any corner in America to any boardroom in America and feel completely comfortable. I know exactly how to relate to both drastically different segments of American society. It's actually really cool. I know very few people who I can take from the comfort group of the people they grew up in and transplant them into a completely different culture and they will be comfortable.  If this isn't something that you normally do I STRONGLY suggest starting to hang out with people who grew up totally different than you. No, not just not from across the country, but from a different ethnic group that you're not used to. It is the only real way to get rid of the fear that drives racism (no you're not racist... I didn't claim that!). Perfect example? I'm wary of hispanic people, mostly because I never really have a chance to hang out with them. 
   You know the hardest part about this token life? Keeping it real. No, not that "Keepin it real" where you have to act like a reggin do what group wants you to do. I mean in the midst of fitting it with various types of people, keeping who you ARE constant. There is nothing wrong with changing your vocabulary or your mannerisms, but when values and beliefs begin to change THAT is a problem. Yes, when I'm around professional people I just might open up my vocabulary and tighten up the Kings English but when I'm not around that group of people I'll speak in more slang. Nothing about me changes, just how I speak and carry myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment