Saturday, March 16, 2013

Haters and you

You got a phD (Playa hater degree)
-Puff

    Just in case you don't know what a hater is, you should probably stop reading my blog... Clearly you're not in my target demographic Just kidding I'll take all the readers I can get. Anyway, it seems that all the time over the last 10ish years people have been talking about "Haters" or people "Hating on them". This post doesn't concern either of them. What I am more concerned about is the motive behind the haters. Not the fact that you got crazy paper or a fly car or some nonsense. We must go deeper blogception.
 
    I don't know if you've ever noticed but..... Nobody hates on people they are doing better than. If they do then you just might be measuring "success" wrong. Whenever people are hating on someone they are almost exclusively hating on someone or something that is doing better than them. It's almost a form of jealous. I don't think it is strictly because they want what you have, more than they want to bring out down so that they feel better about their lot in life. Whenever I feel people hating on me I ask myself, what's going on in their life that makes them want to bring me down? Seems easy enough right? Sometimes it sucks.How you ask? I have the perfect example, sit down and pop a molly open a bag of chips cause I'm about to tell a story.
 
   So the other day I had just got finished praying for death in a workout that involved doing "double unders" with a jump rope. At the conclusion on the workout there was a person who was casualy doing all sorts of silly moves with a jump rope which I had, 30 mins before, failed miserably at. I found myself making fun of this person who was contentedly jump roping with no regard for my feelings. Furthermore, he was doing well at it! Sill I was clowning him and questioning his manhood, saying that it takes a big man to practice jump roping in the gym. This is neigh IMMEDIATELY after struggling and knowing how difficult it is.

   My whole theory of haters came full circle to me that day. It occurred to me that the SOLE reason that I was hating on this man was because I couldn't do what he was doing. He was doing better than me and I needed to make myself feel better by bringing him down a couple pegs. Meanwhile, I'm sure he was paying me absolute zero mind while I was failing at the jumprope and praying for death during the workout. I really had to look at myself and figure out my own deficiencies. Lately, I've been noticing when I hate on people that I need to check myself and figure out what my particular deficiency is.

   I hope my thoughts and personal struggles help you out a little bit. Next time you feel yourself about to hate on someone, stop and think "What is deficient in my life that is causing me to want to hate on this person". I know I will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment